Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Calhoun Cnty Health Department, 9:30am


I'm half asleep but democracy is wide awake. Apparently, the big rush at the Calhoun County Health Department's community center was an hour ago. It has since slowed down. I was the 57th voter this morning and the youngest - by decades - of the ten in line.

There was an older gentleman in front of me who presented a drivers license that looked like it was from the late 60s or early 70s. The laminate had yellowed. The photo on it could have passed for his son because the man's hair had grown white since it was taken.

One of the poll workers briefed everyone on how to fill out the ballot. I sat down next to the man and started connecting the arrows as she showed us.

The "secrecy" of the process seemed to be lost on this crowd as more than a few times people leaned over past the cardboard dividers to counsel a little on what exactly needed marking.

After I had marked a few, the old man leaned over and asked me gently to show him what he needed to mark to vote for all Democrats. I pointed with my pen to the straight ticket box at the top and showed him an example of how to mark it on one of mine. He thanked me and drew in the line.

He sat there for a while after I had finished, inspecting the ballot. As much as the voting process is supposed to be secret, I'm glad he asked.

-Nick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why are you "glad he asked" you how to vote the straight Democratic ticket?