Tuesday, November 07, 2006

First United Methodist Church of Weaver -- 9:15

Things were busier at the Methodist church in Weaver than the Presbyterian Covenant. They had four tables of workers set up and two ballot machines. The voters lined up on either side of a long row of tables, divided by cardboard.

At 9:15 about 270 people had voted. There hadn't been any problems or lines, but one man told me he had to fill out four ballots before the machine would take the card.

Keeping up with the young people tally, I've been the youngest voter I've seen so far. The man at the machine here said he hasn't really been paying attention. He's busy making sure the machines work and passing out the "I voted" stickers.

The rain is letting up, but the worker said that it hasn't stopped anybody from coming out anyway. This place seems pretty friendly. Some of the people know each other and chit chat for a couple of minutes and everyone is willing to smile and talk.

I hadn't even noticed signs until Andy pointed them out in his blog. There were signs all around the Methodist church (keeping the legal distance, of course) but it struck me as odd that I didn't see a single one outside the Presbyterian church ...

My dog and I are heading for Ranburne. I've never been to this town, but now my curiousity is piqued. When I told the man at the booth in Weaver where I was headed, he told me to make sure I eat lunch first. Do they not have food in Ranburne? Luckily I packed a lunch ...

More Election Day trivia: E-Day was instituted by Congress in 1845. November was chosen because it was after all the crops had been harvested, and it falls on a Tuesday so people could have time to travel long distances to the polling place.

No comments: