Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My personal relationship with Democracy

Here's a lesson in being a responsible voter: when you move more than 20 minutes away from your old stomping grounds, don't forget to update your info with the Board of Registrars. I moved from Alexandria to East Anniston but neglected to change my polling place. Doh. So after a quick meeting at the Joint Powers Authority, I picked up my girlfriend from our house and made the trek to the Civitan Club next to the volunteer fire station.

Nothing too special about voting, other than I find the ballots a bit confusing, connecting the arrow to the candidate. Public education has made me dependent on bubbling in the circles. How sad.

The JPA meeting was interesting. One of the candidates running today, District 2 commissioner Robert Downing, serves on the JPA board. I figured he'd be out stumping for a few more votes, but he was at the table talking about the Lowe's project at McClellan.

The JPA has been an issue for Downing and other politicians serving on the board. Downing's opponent, Jimmy O'Dell, says politicians should not serve on the board at all. Downing says having a board made up of politicians provides accountability for its actions.

That's a debate that will extend well beyond this campaign season, however.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Earlier JPA boards were comprised of businessmen. The public had no more confidence in the JPA of that past than of now. A pubished news-history of board makeup would be valuable to folks.